Thursday, September 22, 2005

Open House New York rocks!

I was very excited that the site list for Open House New York was posted today. The only problem is that one weekend is too short. This year, I am finding the Brooklyn list the most intriguing. The Brooklyn Navy Yard and Floyd Bennett Field are both open, and there’s a Gowanus Canal canoe tour. (!) The Pratt power plant is open again, you can go to the top of the Grand Army Plaza arch, and peer inside the Montauk Club. The question is: will it be possible to do them all? A couple of them you can reserve in advance, which is good, since last year half our time was wasted waiting on line to see the Highline. I shouldn’t really say wasted, because it was worth the wait, but still.

And in other news, New York City has signed a contract with a Spanish company to provide “20 freestanding public toilets on city streets,” to quote the New York Times. Wow!! Twenty!! And what do you think are the chances that one will be installed near the stinky, smelly (yes, both) alleyway I have to pass on my way to and from the subway? Don’t answer that; it’s a rhetorical question. I think the only tourists around here are the ones I bring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure I'd want to use a public toilet on a city street. Are you planning to enter the photography contest?

Kay

Anonymous said...

As one of the tourists you brought, I can attest to the need for a public toilet in your neighbourhood.

Should I write a letter :)

v

Laura said...

Kay,

I am almost certainly going to enter the photography contest. We're interested primarily in the industrial sites, which are the source of some of my favourite photography. Stay tuned.

-L